Looking for a crowd pleaser this winter? Celebrate National Soup Month with this recipe that is so easy and yummy that you are sure to please everyone. Plus, vegans can indulge in this deliciousness as well.
This is a recipe that we tweaked a little to make it a healthier choice. This recipe calls for low sodium or no salt added foods as canned foods can quickly add a lot of sodium to the diet. We also chose sweet potatoes as they are richer in vitamins and minerals than a white starchy potato.
· 2 15 ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
· 2 14 1/2 ounce can no salt added Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
· 2 14 ounce low sodium vegetable broth
· 1 15 1/4 ounce can reduced sodium whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
· 1 15 ounce can reduced sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
· 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
· 2 cups frozen cut green beans
· 1 cup salsa
· Low fat sour cream (optional)
1. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker combine drained black beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, corn, garbanzo beans, potatoes, frozen green beans, and salsa.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours. Serve with sour cream (optional). Makes 12 servings.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens “Mexican Minestrone”